The Legacy of Ralph Collins
by Kristen Murphy - November 2000
On the corner of Tenth Street and Woodlawn Avenue stands a paradox: an innovative, experimental community, still young at nearly thirty, housed within the Gothic walls of the oldest residence hall on campus. This is Collins Living-Learning Center, a dorm with a one-of-a-kind spirit. Ralph Collins did not live to see the LLC program established. He led the center in another time, a time when its rooms were filled with football stars and Navy troops — but that community, and Collins' own values, already hinted at the amazing things to come.
Ralph L. Collins (1907-1963) was born in Eclectic, Alabama. He was educated at the University of the South, where he earned a B.A. in 1928, and at Yale University, where he earned a Ph.D. in 1933. Before joining the Department of English at Indiana University in 1935, he did editorial work for Atlantic Monthly and taught one year at the University of Tennessee. At Indiana, he served as varsity tennis coach from 1940 to 1945 and as Director of the Writers Conference from 1941 to 1948. He was named Assistant Dean of Faculties in 1948 and Vice President and Dean of Faculties in 1959.